Since Father’s Day is drawing near, why not discuss some ways in which essential oils can improve men’s health & quality of life! In this post, I will be discussing some common health issues men face and how the power of medicinal plants/ essential oils can help!
TOP MEN’S HEALTH CONCERNS
Some facts of interest:
• Although heart disease is the leading killer of both men and women, almost twice as many males die of conditions that affect the cardiovascular system
• One in four men has some form of heart disease. It is the leading cause of death.
• Heart disease begins to manifest itself about 10 years earlier in men than in women
According to the American Heart Association (AHA), risk factors for heart disease include:
• Increasing age
• Male sex
• Family history and race. A family history of heart disease is associated with a higher risk of coronary artery disease, especially if a close relative developed heart disease at an early age. Your risk is highest if your father or a brother was diagnosed with heart disease before age 55, or your mother or a sister developed it before age 65. African-Americans, Mexican Americans, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, and some Asian Americans also have a higher risk
• High blood cholesterol
• High blood pressure
• Physical inactivity
• Obesity and overweight
Young Living Products that can help:
NingXia Red Juice – NingXia wolfberries have the highest known levels of polysaccharides, documented cardioprotective, reduces inflammation (which contributes to heart disease), brings oxygen to the cells and helps separate them from being “sticky”, detoxifies the blood and allows it to flow more freely.
CardiaCare – contains ingredients that have been scientifically tested for their abilities to support and strengthen the cardiovascular system ~ helichrysum, ylang ylang, CoQ10, wolfberry powder, hawthorn berry and vitamin E.
Aroma Life Oil Blend– Improves cardiovascular, lymphatic and circulatory systems. Lowers high blood pressure and reduces stress.
A stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is suddenly interrupted or when a blood vessel in the brain bursts, spilling blood into the spaces surrounding brain cells. Brain cells die when they no longer receive oxygen and nutrients from the blood or when they are damaged by sudden bleeding into or around the brain. When blood flow to the brain is interrupted, some brain cells die immediately, while others remain at risk for death.
Controllable Risk Factors:
• High Blood Pressure
• Atrial Fibrillation
• High Cholesterol
• Circulation Problems
• Tobacco Use and Smoking
• Alcohol Use
• Physical Inactivity
Uncontrollable risk factors include being over age 55, being male, being African American, Hispanic or Asian/Pacific Islander, or having a family history of stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA).
Stroke Risk Calculator: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/p2/stroke-risk-calculator.aspx
Symptoms of stroke appear suddenly. Watch for these symptoms and be prepared to act quickly for yourself or on behalf of someone you are with:
• Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body.
• Sudden confusion, trouble talking, or understanding speech.
• Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
• Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance or coordination.
• Sudden severe headache with no known cause.
If you suspect you or someone you know is experiencing any of these symptoms indicative of a stroke, do not wait. Call 911 emergency immediately. There are now effective therapies for stroke that must be administered at a hospital, but they lose their effectiveness if not given within the first 3 hours after stroke symptoms appear. Every minute counts!
Young Living essential oils can be used topically to help strengthen the integrity of capillary walls. Helichrysum, cistus, and nutmeg have anti-clotting properties and can be used as a preventative measure to reduce the risk of strokes due to blood clots.
About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
Prostate cancer occurs mainly in older men. Nearly two thirds are diagnosed in men aged 65 or older, and it is rare before age 40. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 67.
Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
Prostate cancer can be a serious disease, but most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not die from it. In fact, more than 2.5 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.
The biggest risk factors seem to be age and family history.
Aside from cancer, the other concern is inflammation of the prostate. Symptoms include frequent urination (6-10 times during the night ), weak urine stream, painful urination, and decreased sex drive.
Before they are 60, half of all men will have inflammation of the prostate and by the age of 80, 90% of men will have enlarged prostate.
Young Living’s Prostate Health is uniquely formulated for men concerned with supporting the male glandular system and maintaining healthy, normal prostate function. Prostate Health is an essential oil supplement featuring powerful saw palmetto and pumpkin seed oil—ingredients known for their support of a healthy prostate gland. A proprietary blend of pure geranium, fennel, myrtle, lavender, and peppermint essential oils provides the body with key anti-inflammatory components. These precision-delivery vegetable softgels quickly absorb into the system, thereby supporting healthy inflammation response and normal urinary tract function. For maximum benefit, Prostate Health should be taken consistently over time.
Testosterone is a major male sex hormone that determines many male sexual characteristics, such as muscle mass, hair growth and the development of a lower voice. This male hormone is important for regulating metabolism, increasing the rate of fat breakdown in men. It also helps in sperm maturity and contributes to sex drive in both men and women.
Aging causes many changes in the body, including the steady decline of testosterone levels. The levels of testosterone in your body start to gradually decrease when you reach 30 years of age.
Signs and symptoms of low testosterone include:
• Decreased sex drive
• Erectile dysfunction
• Reduced energy level
• Reduced strength and endurance levels
• Sleep problems
• Emotional problems including sadness, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and depression
• Increased breast size and tenderness
• Decrease in the amount of body hair
• Decreased penis or testicle size
• Loss of muscle mass
• Weight increase around the middle of the body
If your doctor suspects that your testosterone level is low, a blood test can be done to measure your testosterone level.
Omega-3 in fish oil is an important component for the production of hormones. It is also excellent for keeping your cardiovascular system and heart healthy. Omega-3 is a polyunsaturated fat that is classified as “good fat.” Unlike other types of fat, fish oils don’t elevate blood pressure or clog your blood vessels. In fact, they do exactly the opposite and clear the body of high cholesterol and bad fat.
Young Living products that can help:
Omega Blue – clinically-proven dose of omega-3 fatty acids, enhanced with a preservation system blending pure blue chamomile, lemongrass and close essential oils to increase shelf life and ensure freshness.
Endogize – helps to maintain a healthy endocrine system, which is a collection of ‘glands’ that produce hormones. According to Gary Young, you can take this supplement up to 6 times per day.
SclarEssence Essential Oil
Sclaressence – 1 cap, 4-5 times/week – raises testosterone in Men
Specifically designed to support the hormones, it will increase estradiol (estrogen) and testosterone levels when taken as a dietary supplement. It may also reduce bloating, balance the pH of the body and improve digestion.
This oil as a supplement will help support the male and female hormonal system. It will increase testosterone levels in men or increase estrogen levels in women. It is a natural fertility enhancer and will help with both male and female infertility.
Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea) has anti-convulsive, anti-fungal, sedative, soothing and nerve tonic properties. It is balancing to the hormones, and enhances the dream state.
Peppermint (Mentha piperita) has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and digestive aid properties. It blocks pain and enhances the other effects of the oils.
Fennel (Pelargonium graveolens) has anti-parasitic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, anti-toxin, diuretic and analgesic properties. It is used for diabetes, cancer, obesity, fluid retention, hormones and digestive problems.
Sage Lavender or Spanish Sage (Salvia lavandulifolia) has anti-depressant, astringent, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties. It has shown to increase both estradiol and testosterone levels. It is emotionally balancing and is can be used for depression and stress.
Other blends to consider are: Mister, Endoflex and Dragon Time essential oil blends.
MALE HORMONE IMBALANCE
As men age, their DHEA and testosterone levels decline. Conversely, levels of dihydrotesteroone (DHT) increase, contributing to prostate enlargement and hair loss.
Because pregenelone is a master hormone from which all hormones are created, men can directly benefit from all trans-dermal pregenelone creams as a way of jump-starting sagging DHEA levels.
Herbs such as saw palmetto and Pygeum africanum can prevent the conversion of testosterone into DHT, thereby reducing prostate enlargement and slowing hair loss.
Singles: rosemary, sage, fennel, geranium, yarrow, frankincence
Supplements: EndoGize, Prostate Health
Body Care Creams, Lotions and Serums: Prenelone Plus Body Cream
Application and Usage
• Diffuse your choice of oils for ½ hour every 4-6 hours, or as desired
• Put 2-3 drops of your chosen oil in your hands and rub them together, cup your hands over your nose and inhale throughout the day as needed
• Put 2-3 drops of oil on a cotton ball or tissue and put in the air vent in your house, vehicle, hotel room, etc.
• If diffusing at night while sleeping, set your timer for desired length for automotive shut-off
• You may apply single oils or blends neat or diluted, depending on the oils that are used.
• A single drop under the nose is helpful and refreshing
• Dilute 50/50 and apply on location 306 times daily
• Massage 2-4 drops of oil neat on the soles of the feet just before bedtime
Ingestion and Oral:
• Take 1 capsule with half recommended oils once a day.
The prostate gland is a small organ just beneath the bladder that is part of the male reproductive system. Its primary function is to create and store fluid that helps nourish and protect the sperm.
Oils – Frankincense, Mister, Australian Blue, EndoFlex, blue cypress, Gratitude, helichrysum, juniper, Juva Cleanse, yarrow
Dilute, as necessary, and apply to the posterior, scrotum ankles, lower back or bottoms of feet. Add 5 drops to 1 tablespoon V-6 oil or olive oil; insert into rectum and retain through the night.
Personal Care – PD 80/20, Prenelone/Prenelone +, Protec (designed to accompany the night-long retention enema, it helps to buffer the prostate from inflammation enlargement and tumor activity)
Supplements: Prostate Health (an herbal support for the male glandular system; it may prevent prostate atrophy and malfunction and protect men for prostate cancer), Master Formula His
Oils – Mister (decongests prostate and balances hormones) cypress, spruce, myrtle, ImmuPower, DiGize, Dragon Time, myrrh, sage, yarrow (apply topically)
Impotence, the inability to perform sexually, may be caused by physical limitations due to an accident or injury or by psychological factors, such as inhibitions, trauma, stress, etc. Male impotence is often linked to problems with the prostate or prostate surgery. If impotence is related to psychological trauma or unresolved emotional issues, it may be necessary to deal with these issues before any meaningful progress can be made.
There is an extensive historical basis that fragrance may amplify desire and create a mood that can overcome impotence. In fact, aromas such as rose and jasmine have been used since antiquity to attract the opposite sex and create a romantic atmosphere.
Modern research has shown that the aroma of some essential oils can stimulate the emotional center of the brain. This may explain why essential oils have the potential to help people overcome impotence based on emotional factors or inhibitions.
Singles: goldenrod, frankincense, myrrh, ginger, nutmeg, jasmine, ylang ylang
Blends: Valor, Valor roll-on, Mister, SclarEssence
Supplements: EndoGize, Prostate Health
Application and Usage
• Diffuse 15 minutes 2 times daily or as needed
• You may apply single oils or blends neat or diluted, depending on the oils that are used.
• Apply 2-3 drops neat to Vita Flex points on feet or lower abdomen. Do not apply on sensitive skin in crotch area.
~ From the Essential Oil Desk Reference, Life Science Publishers
Our libido is a combination of the mind and body. Sex drive can be affected by a number of factors such as hormones, family, work, ago, medications, stress and more.
Apply: One drop Sandalwood, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Sensation or Live with Passion to pulse points or to those of your partner, dilute generously with V6 Mixing Oil on sensitive areas
Try: Omega Blue and Longevity capsules, as directed; drink 2 oz. of NingXia Red daily
Diffuse: Sensation or Jasmine to set the mood.
Did you Know?
• Essential oils can be very effective in stimulating the libido.
• Sandalwood has been known since ancient times to improve blood flow, balance mood, and stimulate interest. Because its scent is so close to a man’s it is especially effective for women
• Jasmine is known to tame anger, raise interest and inspire passion
• Ylang ylang, jasmine’s close counterpart, is less expensive and has similar properties
• Rose, perhaps the most expensive and rare, is also one of the most effective. Cleopatra to Snow White, rose is associated with love, passion and romance
• All four of these oils can be diffused or applied. They can also be added to V6 Mixing Oil to make a massage oil.
Enjoying an active sex life is essential to our well being, and the foods we eat play a large role in ensuring we feel sexy. Some of the foods that help turn us on include: pumpkin seeds, avocados, bee pollen and figs; Supplements containing these foods include NingXia Red, Mineral Essence and Super Cal.
~ From Essential Oils 101 by Carrie Donegan & Elena Yordan
MALE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS
Oils ~ Awaken (aromatic, topically)
Personal Care: PD 80/20, Prenolone/Orenolone+, Lavender Hand & Body Lotion (moisturizes skin, leaving it soft, silky and smooth), Sensation Hand & Body Lotion (moisturizs and protects skin with an alluring fragrance), KidScents Lotion (makes a great aftershave as it soothes and rehydrates the skin)
Oils – Melaleuca, oregano, eucalyptus, lavender, patchouli (all topically)
Oils – lavender, roman chamomile, hyssop (all topically)
Oils – Eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, cypress, hyssop, juniper (all topically)
Oils – Mister (balances), SclarEssence (increases testosterone levels)
Oils – Basil, clary sage, SclarEssence, cedarwood, safe, thyme (all topically)
Supplements – Master Formula His, MultiGreens
• Recipe #1 – Put 2 drops of either cypress, lavender, melaleuca or patchouli in 1 tsp. V-6 Oil and apply to area morning and night; or put 2 drops of any one of these oils in a small bowl of water, wash and dry area well.
• Supplements – Prostate Health, Master Formula His, MultiGreens
~ From Reference Guide for Essential Oils by Connie and Alan Higley.